k you still have rhubarb hanging out in your yard somewhere? I do! And I wanted to try and use it up before winter. I decided to whip up a batch of rhubarb bars. Who says it’s too late to enjoy a little taste of summer? I think I have enough rhubarb left to make at least one more batch before winter! What are your favorite rhubarb recipes? Give this one a try, with TWO sticks of butter and a lot of sugar, it’s definitely not good for you, but it sure tastes good!
3 cups of chopped rhubarb
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cups flour
1/2 cups oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup butter, softened
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9×13 pan. Set aside.
2) For filling; in a small sauce pan, heat rhubarb, 1 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup water oven medium heat until boiling.
3) Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
4) Meanwhile in small bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tbsp. flour. After your filling has simmered for five minutes, add this mixture to the filling. Stir and cook for an additional minute.
5) Remove from heat, add vanilla, and set aside.
6) In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and baking soda.
7) Cut in butter and combine with hands until your mixture resembles course crumbs.
8) Set aside one cup of this mixture.
9) Press the rest into the bottom of your greased pan. Evenly spread your rhubarb filling on top.
10) Sprinkle with additional one cup of topping.
11) Bake for 30-35 minutes. Enjoy!