As promised, I have a red velvet cupcake recipe for you today! I thought about making truffles or puppy chow but it’s been awhile since I have posted a cupcake recipe and hey, the blog title promises cupcakery! So, I experimented with red velvet cupcake recipes to find the most delicious and velvety one of them all. I thought about making them cute and elegant as one normally thinks when they hear red velvet, but instead I made them into eyeballs in light of the upcoming holiday, HALLOWEEN! Yes, I give you ‘Eye See You’ Red Velvet Cupcakes! So cute, spooky and easy!
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup softened butter
2 cups white sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 bottle (1 ounce) Red Food Coloring
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 30 muffin pans with cupcake liners.
2) In a medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together. Set aside.
3) In a separate medium sized bowl, beat butter and sugar together on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in eggs. Mix in sour cream, milk, food coloring and vanilla extract.
4) Beat your flour mixture into the wet ingredient mixture at a low speed until well combined.
5) Spoon batter into cupcake liners, filling 2/3 of the way full!
6) Bake 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool
7) Frost with white cream cheese icing (I used store bought icing since I was decorating these.)
8) For the eyes I used a white buttercream frosting. Using food coloring, I made blue and red icing.
9) Frost the red buttercream icing in a circle in the middle of your cupcake. Using a piping bag, or any plastic bag with a tip cut off, make a round circle on top of the red circle using the white buttercream. On top of your white circle, make a smaller blue circle. Top with one mini chocolate chip.
How cute would these be for a Halloween Party?!